Sunday, June 23, 2019

Scripture Sunday Ether 4:11

In order to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit, one must first believe in its existence. After all, if you don't believe in Heavenly Father or the Holy Spirit in the first place, anything kind of feeling or emotion that you experience will just be that-feeling or emotion. Don't get me wrong, not every feeling or emotion is the Holy Spirit talking to you, but a huge thing that separates the LDS church from traditional Christianity is the belief that you can "just know" certain things.

This passage explains in a much better way that I can that belief and practice. In order for you to experience the Holy Spirit, you must "believe these things that I have spoken him will I visit with manifestations of My Spirit, and he shall know and bear record." This passage over simplifies things a bit, but it's a good place to start.

3 comments:

  1. It seems Saints are more reliant on faith than other denominations. Since receiving the Holy Ghost I've started to discern better between emotion and prompting. As an alkie im by nature emotional, so its refreshing to have that assurance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an emotional guy as well, but that's really cooled off as I've gotten older. In my early years I had an extremely short fuse. I'd cry/get angry all at the drop of a hat. I hated myself for it, and I'm glad I've changed. It's also one of the many, many reasons I don't like looking towards the past.

      Delete
  2. "We dont regret the past, nor wish to shut the door on it." I try to look back only when it's beneficial to others. Its difficult to let go completely, but it's also damn hard for me to look forwaed at times as well.

    ReplyDelete