Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Pete Davidison on Saturday Night Live

Okay, true confession time. I don't know who Pete Davidson is, and I haven't watched Saturday Night Live in decades. When I say "decades" I'm not kidding. I think I saw it once when I was 16. A comedian decided to make fun of veteran running for political office. Are we getting too sensitive when it comes to jokes? Absolutely true. Did the veteran running for office basically just shake it off? Yes he did. So it's not about the joke-that's fine and everyone has moved on.

If someone made fun of a liberal woman running for office over her weight, would that be funny? Would the comedian (espcially if the comedian was a man) be able to keep their job? No, of course not. Would people laughing at Pete Davidson laugh at the this hypothetical comedian? No. Pete Davidson (and again, I have no idea who he is) can keep his job and further his career because the guy he made fun of is veteran who isn't cool and hip in his eyes. If Davidson was brave, which he isn't, he'd make fun of someone who his friends all like and admire.

Lenny Bruce was the greatest comedian of all time. He slaughtered scared cows on the left and the right. There are no Lenny Bruces today.

2 comments:

  1. I still watch SNL. Davidson also took a shot at a Dem and after acknowledging that it's unfair to make fun of people's appearances, made a couple jokes about his own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know, thank you. Someone told me that he (Davidson) could be thin skinned when it comes to jokes about himself. Don't know if that's true or not, I've never heard of the guy. I asked one of my cooler, more hip friends.

      Delete