Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Greyhound racing II

Florida recently overwhelmingly voted to ban greyhound racing. Like 69% of my fellow Floridans, I voted in favor of the ban-after some internal struggle. The issue is a bit more complicated then I originally thought, and it turns out it might have some serious unintended consequences. A story in the Tampa Bay Times reported that thousands of dogs are going to be up for adoption. I'm fairly confident that many of those dogs won't find homes and have to be euthanized.

Of course I blame the sport in the first place for treating these dogs terribly, but the ban (Which again, I voted for) might not have been the best way to combat the mistreatment of the dogs. Now, a large amount of dogs will have to be killed simply because they no longer can be put "to use". Both outcomes-banning and the sport and allowing it to continue have tragic unintended consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment