Saturday, November 3, 2018

More thoughts on genealogy

I've mentioned before that I find genealogy sort of boring. Look, if it's your thing, then knock yourself out. I'm sure you might find some of my interests boring. I love history, in fact the last book I finished was the book by Paul Johnson, A History of the American People. A fantastic book, by the way. So it's not because I don't like history that I don't get into genealogy. I'm adopted, so perhaps subconsciously that's the reason I don't like genealogy either. Whatever the root causes and reasons, genealogy still bores me.

If you claim to be descended from some famous person that's interesting, and I hope it brings you peace. Hate to break it to you, but it doesn't make you special in any way, shape or form. Charles II from England had dozens of mistresses and a staggering amount of illegitimate children. We're probably all related to at least one of them in the end. If you are from Utah, you are probably related to pioneer stock. If you are from New England, you might be related to someone from the Mayflower.  Those kind of facts might have gotten you respect in the 1800's, but now, no one outside your family probably cares.


No comments:

Post a Comment