Thursday, October 4, 2018

MH370

Remember the plane that vanished a few years ago? We have such short memories when it comes to news, but this one most people remember even if they don't know the details. I've always had a morbid "fascination" with plane crashes and I just finished a book called, "The Crash Detectives" by Christine Negroni. It's a fascinating book and while she talks about many famous crashes in the beginning she focuses on MH370.

While she admits that she doesn't know an answer for sure she seems to believe that the pilots were knocked out by depressurization. I'm hardly an expert-in fact while I "enjoy" reading about plane crashes I freely admit that it does not make me an expert in any way, shape or form-but I completely agree with her. In the post 9/11 world we are quick to jump to the worst possible conclusion. Hijacking, pilot suicide or a missile shooting down a plane. All of those things are truly horrific, but they are pretty rare.

Airplane travel is the safest way to travel. In reality, planes don't crash. But they do sometimes-and it's a horrible tragedy when they do. I'm a very nervous flyer and I avoid it at all costs. Reading this book actually helped me a little bit because it showed that even under the worst circumstances, pilots still do everything they can to give you a safe flight, and 99.9% of the time, they are successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment