Wednesday, October 3, 2018

"I support your right to..."

Recently I posted something on my Facebook that was religious in nature. An agnostic friend said "I'm not religious, but I support your right to it!" It was nice of him to say that, and I'm sure he means well. I support his right to be non religious, for the record. However the term got me thinking. While he's a friend, his supporting my right to be religious is like me saying I support his daughters right to have an abortion. My support of that is irrelevant, because she has that right. His support of my being openly religious is the same way. It's nice, but it's totally irrelevant to if I have the right or not.

It might get relevant one day in the future, when those rights are in danger-but right now, things are fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment