Saturday, October 20, 2018

Feeding wild animals

I'm a big animal rights guy, for sure. I opened up champagne when I found out that the circus was closing. I'm in favor of laws forbidding puppy mills and I'm in favor of creating a registry of scumbags who abuse their domestic pets.

But there is such a thing called common sense. When it comes to feeding wild animals, it's a really stupid thing to do. You might think it's "compassion" but in reality, it's suicide for you and can also be quite damaging to the animal. When you feed a wild animal, it'll begin to associate humans with food. That can lead to danger when an alligator decides to test the limits and it decides it's still hungry even when you've run out of food. In a battle between you vs an alligator, odds are you will lose. It's not fair to the alligator either-if it gets a taste for human flesh it'll probably have to be destroyed.

The other blunt truth is that animals can carry diseases-like rabies. Sure, alligators can't carry Rabies (I think it's a disease of mammals only, I might be wrong)-and thank God we have vaccines for it, but getting a bunch of shots in your stomach isn't exactly a pleasant experience. 

I get why people feed animals-mother nature can be very cruel sometimes over population leads to famine. Compassion towards animals is a good thing but you can't let it blind you either.

No comments:

Post a Comment