Monday, February 20, 2017

The Station Nightclub Fire

The singer from Great White recently talked about the Station Nightclub fire, the famous fire that took place in February of 2003. This link provides a synopsis of the interview.

I remember exactly where I was when I heard about the fire. Although I do have some Great White albums I've never been a big fan and I did not know about the concert at the time it was happening. Hearing about it on the news was still shocking and upsetting to me-I said to myself "I could have been there." I could have been there because if there was another band from that genre and that era playing, there was a good chance I would have gone. I'm not from Rhode Island but I did go to concerts in the Massachusetts-Rhode Island area. The girl I was dating at the time was from Worcester.

I was over twenty at the time and of course, as an adult, lived through 9/11. 9/11 was different. I knew someone in New York City at the time but he wasn't even close to Manhattan, had no connection with Manhattan, and I didn't really talk to him much. So while I obviously had my heart broken that day I didn't have a personal connection to it. While it's true I didn't have a personal connection to the fire (again, I knew no one who went) I felt like I did because of the shared interests.

My heart still breaks for the people who died, and of course, the people who lived.  It's obvious that my pain will never come close to the pain felt by those who lost loved ones there, and I would never claim that it does. Like the lead singer of Great White says, "The pain never goes away, nor should it." A lot of us feel that way, no matter what are connection to the event was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment