Wednesday, March 20, 2019

The last Blockbuster on Earth

The Twitter page is absolutely hilarious and I strongly suggest you follow it. I'm reasonably sure that the Twitter page isn't the page of a real Blockbuster-but there is one left in the world. It's been getting some media attention recently. Like my interest in Sears, I love watching dead stores and more importantly, I love/hate hearing about the nostalgia we have for them. Of course, it's more nostalgia for a "simpler time" (I hate saying that. The past wasn't simple, our human minds just think it was) than actually for Blockbuster.

Blockbuster sucked. It's selection was horrible, they had virtually nothing but popular movies you could see in the theaters. It was like listening to mainstream rock radio that only played Aerosmith or Led Zeppelin or post Black Album Metallica. The late fees were outrageous, you had to return the movies in a few days and if you forgot or had transportation problems-it didn't matter. I don't watch movies that much (maybe two-three a year and I don't have a Netflix) but thank God that Blockbuster will soon be no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment