Saturday, March 9, 2019

Pet peeve sins

I've noticed that all of us have sins that we consider more serious than others. Let's say I get caught lying about my veteran status. I said I was an Iraq War veteran but it turns out I never was. For the record, no, I was never in the service, I'm strictly using this as an example. Some people want to forgive me-after all, judge not lest ye be judged. Now, let's say I get caught cheating on my wife. Some people who were saying "judge not" would not be saying "Get away from you piece of garbage. Throw the book at him."

It's fascinating to me that people think certain sins are "unforgivable" while others aren't that big a deal, and you shouldn't be judging people. Let's get back to the cheating thing-I've never heard someone say "We should forgive Cindy for cheating on her husband. After all, judge not lest ye be judged." But if Cindy steals a car or from Wal Mart-well, judge not will certainly be used in that case.

And yes, the "judge not lest ye be judged" is the most misunderstood bible passage out there. You can't even mention it without someone saying how misunderstood it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment