Saturday, April 20, 2019

Should smoking on the beach be illegal?

My home state of Florida has a bill in session this term that would ban smoking cigarettes on the beach.  For the record, I don't smoke cigarettes anymore but I have in the past. I have no problem being around smokers and frankly, I think they are over bashed. Just because someone smokes doesn't mean they are weak or stupid. In fact, I hate it when villains are given cigarettes in movies just so that people know they are villains.

But this is a good law, and one I'd support, not that it matters what I think.

I think some beaches already ban smoking, and (I think, not sure about this) that you'll get a citation for smoking on the beach. It's highly annoying to walk around cigarette butts when you are barefoot enjoying the sand and the water. I'm no environmentalist (thought I am increasingly concerned about garbage in the ocean) but I'm sure that cigarette butts harm the environment and worse, harm the animals on the beach.

Like I've mentioned many times, I'm a libertarian. Smoke if you want, do cocaine if you want. Things that I find morally repulsive (like gambling) should be legal. But this shouldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment