Tuesday, April 30, 2019

BYU valedictorian comes out as gay in speech

A BYU student came out as a member of the homosexual community in his speech.  I'm happy for him, and I'm happy that he's comfortable enough with his himself and his sexuality that he can announce this to the entire class. I'm glad that even at BYU people are coming to terms with the changing customs. Hopefully, his classmates cheered and applauded his courage-they should have, because what he did takes major backbone.

The only negative, and it's a small one, is that now the graduation will be about his sexuality rather than the accomplishments that everyone achieved. No, it's not a big negative, I said it's a small one, but I don't want everyones accomplishments lost in this discussion about his sexuality. It concerns me that people will misread what I'm saying. I'm not saying I don't support him, and like I said, the negative is very small but also needs to be addressed. Hopefully everyone in this class will be remembered for what they accomplish and his announcement, while positive, will be part of the larger picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment