Friday, April 12, 2019

Album of the Weekend

The Beatles-Abbey Road

Another 5 star album by perhaps the greatest band in human history (not my personal favorite but in my top three as well, after Megadeth and the Ramones) Abbey Road is in my view, the greatest Beatles album out there. One of those albums where if you don't like it, you are at the problem-not them.

What more can you say about The Beatles? To me it reminds me that God exists. God does not give the talent like these guys had to many mortals, and when you combine the four of them at the right time in the same place-well, it can't be just luck or serendipity in my view (though unlike many religious people I believe in luck and serendipity).

As I've mentioned before a major pet peeve of mine is when people only like music from "their era". Good music isn't regulated to a certain era, and you need to expand your mind if you only listen to what is current or from a certain era. Nothing wrong with having a favorite genre/era but expand your mind a bit.

And expand it with Abbey Road. "Here Comes the Sun" is a wonderful acoustic George Harrison song, laid back and a joy to listen to. Just thinking about that song makes me smile. "Oh Darling!" is a bluesy song that could have been created by a John Lee Hooker in the best blues bar in New Orleans. "Come Together" is one of the most covered songs in music history and you know why? It's an incredibly good song that everyone likes.

You owe it to yourself to listen to this album. If you don't like it-well that's not something I'd personally admit to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment