Monday, April 8, 2019

Policy changes

The LDS church had a policy barring children of homosexuals from getting baptized. They apparently changed that.

Putting aside my personal views on the subject (I have zero problem with homosexuals getting married or baptizing their kids in the church) I'm gravely concerned that this issue will do the exact opposite of what they desire. The church wishes for less contentiousness when it comes to dialogue between the opposing sides. That's noble, but it won't happen. In fact, policy changes like this generally split the sides even more.

I remember a line from a great movie about Charles II. When parliament was nervous about the crown going to his brother, James II, Charles said "Nothing that begins in such division is likely to end well." My fear is that this will end badly for the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment