Thursday, March 22, 2018

Toys R Us, RIP

Another retail giant fades to black. As a Generation Xer, I'm supposed to feel terrible and sad seeing this store go out of business. But I don't. I feel absolutely nothing, other than fascinated. I'm not an expert in business but I see the obvious. The obvious is that nostalgia will only get you so far. You need money, and for money you need customers. Toys R Us did not have customers, so they didn't have money. Ergo, they have gone out of business. Take notes every other retail store-this is how you eventually fade away.

With Toys R Us though, it's a bit more complicated. Kids are no longer into bikes, trains and video games. It's a different world and while I don't have kids I can see that their interests in toys has clearly changed. If it hasn't, than Toys R Us would still be in business. It's obvious that many people my age are feeling nostalgic more for their childhood than the actual store. They wrongly think that our childhood was a simpler time (it wasn't, its was just as complicated and dangerous as childhood is in 2018) and the toys that Toys R Us falsely gives them the impression that it was. 

I'm very interested in todays children will view their childhood when they get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment