Monday, March 19, 2018

Taxpayer funded stadiums

A boring topic? Not to me.

I love sports, in particular college football and baseball. I have seasons tickets to the Tampa Rays and to the Florida Gators baseball teams. I'm a sabermetric geek and I love watching every bowl game I possibly can at the end of the year. I also like arena football (sadly Arena football has collapsed in Florida, leaving only a team in Jacksonville in Tampa) boxing, hockey, basketball-so yes, I'm a sports fan.

But not everyone is. Taxpayers are already fleeced to the bone and forced to pay for so much that they don't agree with and might even find offensive. You are forced to pay for illegal wars, the death penalty, contraception-and that's just getting started. When local politicians start talking about building new stadiums-the smart person knows to smile, grab your wallet and get the hell out of there.

Politicians will talk about how stadiums will "bring jobs" to the local economy and help out there. But that's nonsense. It's usually doesn't work in the long term-once the stadium is built the construction jobs are over. Minor league stadiums are much, much worse because of the high turnover of the teams. Minor league franchises rarely stay in one place for very long. Civic pride is another reason politicians like teams being built-but that's nonsense too. Civic pride is a good thing but a minor league team won't do anything to help it

No comments:

Post a Comment