Thursday, March 15, 2018

Stephen Hawking RIP

The famous scientist Stephen Hawking passed away at the age of 76.

I'm not going to claim to be devastated by the loss. In fact, I don't think I've thought of him much in the last decade or so of my life. No, that doesn't mean that I'm afraid of science or too stupid for it, it just means I lack an interest in the subject. Science was always my least favorite topic in school and I've forgotten all the science classes I took in college. Seriously, I don't know how I passed freshmen college biology.

During the celebration of the life of Dr. Hawking, I was thinking of something. He lived with an absolutely horrible disease until the age of 76. If he was born 50 years before, or 100 years before, his life would have been drastically shorter and much more horrific. He wouldn't have been able to communicate at all. ALS is the among the worst diseases in the world, it's horrific what happens to the body. My heart breaks for Steven Hawking because of this, and even though he was an ardent atheist, I think it's a miracle he lived as long as he did. Hopefully his suffering is over at this point.

RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment