Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Should a high school apologize when beating a team 93-7?

A high school team in Massachusetts has issued an apology after beating a team 93-7. At first, I thought it was just another indication of how we are babying and pampering high schoolers coddling them so they don't see how the real world really is. And I still sort of do. However at a college baseball game my attitude was a little different.

I was watching the Florida Gators (the number one ranked school in the country) dominate a small college from up north, Siena. Some jackass in the crowd said something offensive about Siena. I thought it was ignorant and foolish, like most things people shout out at sporting events. In reality, a small college like Siena should be lauded just for showing up to play a team that is clearly their superior.  You also have the troubling aspect that this isn't the pros. If you are getting paid huge amounts of money to play a sport, after being heckled you go home and cry on your paychecks. No sympathy. For college and high school kids, I do have more sympathy.

If your team loses 93-7, it's sad, and yes, you can play armchair coach and say that the reserves should have been brought in, a mercy rule should have been announced, or they just should have called the game. The apology was a bit too much in my view, but I understand where the superintendent was coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment