Sunday, June 11, 2017

Scripture Sunday 2 Nephi 12:2-3

Outside of Utah and big cities, no one knows what a LDS temple even is. Growing up, I had no idea. I had never seen one before I joined the church. When I would visit a big city I wasn't exactly looking for spiritual enlightenment, and I either never noticed the LDS temple or I was in a part of the city where there was not one.

This scripture shows a vision in which Isaiah sees a latter day (which means modern day) temple. I'm not sure if all temples are built on a hill or if that's metaphorical but this passage seems to indicate that a temple should be built on a mountain or hill. It also mentions how the people of the nations will flood into the temple doors-this is true, to a point. It's been reported that in some countries LDS temple attendance is slowing down. That doesn't surprise me-in some countries secularization is greatly effecting church membership. I should make it clear that I don't go to the temple. 

Temples are a bit strange to non members. The LDS church doesn't talk about what happens in them and only more serious members of the church can go in. However, the church is getting more open with what happens in temples. Most members who have been view the ceremonies as "too sacred" to discuss outside the temple. I'm not sure where temples come from in the long run-but this scripture might be where they started.

No comments:

Post a Comment