Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Facebook vigilantes and the destruction they cause

I've mentioned it before but I have a deep fear of vigilante justice. Maybe it's because I've read "To Kill a Mockingbird" and actually understood it. A good Samaritan recently got assaulted and Facebook shamed for doing the right thing and trying to help someone.

I've had my own run ins with Facebook vigilantes. One lady posted something about an apparent criminal. The local police asked it not to be shared, but she couldn't comprehend that and shared it anyway. White knight that I am, I tried to tell her about how it was false news, but she couldn't comprehend that either. It depressed me of course-but I moved on. I don't forget though.

Being a vigilante on Facebook and in your real life has grave consequences. If you post something and someone gets their ass kicked-or worse-then yes, you do have blood on your hands. Using ignorance as an excuse will only get you so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment