Friday, June 2, 2017

Album of the Weekend

West Side Story Soundtrack

Like I mentioned, this punk loves musicals, and West Side Story his favorite. I'm an emotional guy, and I cry easily. When it's a good performance (and even when it's bad, I still greatly enjoy it) you can usually find me bawling and my Lady Punk is there comforting me. While people who live in the rough parts of town object to the over romanticized view of the ghetto that this story presents, I ignore them. This musical is the only perfect musical out there. No bad songs, engrossing characters and a story that you get hooked into.

It's also incredibly ahead of it's time, addressing social concerns that wouldn't come into play till much later than when it was created. The root causes of crime, gun violence, transgenderism (my sister wears a mustache, my brother wears a dress), gender roles-this was probably the first musical to achieve mainstream success that dealt with so many controversial issues. In that way, it was Rent before Rent was Rent.

You don't have to like musicals, they aren't for everyone-but this one is fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment