Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Michelle Carter update

Michelle Carter, the woman who convinced her "boyfriend" to commit suicide has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

Here is the link to the original blog I posted about her.

Evil exists in this world, and sometimes (actually, often) it doesn't get punished. I'm glad she is getting punished because I still feel she committed involuntary manslaughter. No matter what the court punishes her with, she will forever be known as "that girl" whose actions pushed her boyfriend into suicide.  I have a feeling she will have to move to another state at the very least-maybe even another country. She clearly doesn't have a conscience, so praying for her won't get us anywhere.

I've been hearing that she had "free speech" rights and she shouldn't have been charged for what she did. It makes sense. After all, she didn't turn the car on or pull the trigger. In the end, you are accountable for your own actions. I have a lot of sympathy for that point of view, even if I disagree with it. I don't have free speech rights to yell "Fire!" in a movie theatre. I don't have free speech rights to put you in immediate danger. She did just that.

I'm a big believer in free speech, for sure. There are limits though. The second amendment makes it clear you can't own a nuclear bomb in your basement, and even free speech has it's limits as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment