Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Tiger Woods

I admit, it's hard to have sympathy for Tiger Woods. I am not a golf fan, but his celebrity surpassed golf and he launched into pop culture. He was on late night talk shows, he was considered a role model to millions of people and he brought golf to an entirely new audience. I like his video game series-in fact, I'm pretty good at the Tiger Woods for GBA. Now, he's on late night talk shows, but he's a punchline instead of a guest. 

Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac. It's not hard to find companionship if you are wealthy and one of the most powerful men in your field. Let that be a lesson-sexual nature is so powerful that it can take down someone who seems to have it all. From congressmen to athletes to businessmen-no one is immune. 

I get it, because of the scandal there is a large group of people that will chalk up any bad thing that happens to him as "karma" or say "he deserves it". For a Christian to think that way is quite nasty, and I've seen Christians say that very thing. First off, what is a Christian doing believing in karma? Second, you deserve it too-we're all sinners. 

He was busted this weekend for DUI in Florida. His mug shot, now worldwide shows a man who has aged horribly. I agree that it's hard to have sympathy for him, after all he called a lot of this on himself-but I think he's a broken man. He needs to be punished for the DUI of course. However his fall from grace is both stunning and tragic. 


5 comments:

  1. I've always loved this talk that speaks about how we treat others:
    https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/04/the-merciful-obtain-mercy?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete
  2. I firmly believe that in the end, we will be treated in the same way that we treat others. We will be given the same amount of mercy and forgiveness that we give others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's important to remember that no one is perfect. I'd like to think I've treated people wonderfully in the past, but I know I haven't. I've made mistakes too. I trust God to sort it out in the end.

      Delete
    2. God knows we are not perfect. Thankfully, He is not looking for perfection. He is looking at what direction we are headed. Are we striving to be better or not. He makes up the rest, that is the true power of the atonement.

      Delete