Saturday, May 13, 2017

LDS and Boy Scouts are breaking up

Caveat-I was never a Scout. Growing up I always though they were outdated and little square.  

Apparently the Boy Scouts and the LDS church are going through a hard time and decided to divorce. It's obvious as to why: some of the morals and values that the Boy Scouts have decided to follow are contrary to the values that the LDS church has.

Putting my own thoughts on gay rights on the shelf (I've mentioned many times I'm pro gay marriage, pro gay adoption, etc) I think the Boy Scouts are going to seriously regret this divorce. The LDS church does a huge amount for them-donating time and money. While I understand that the LDS church doesn't have to allow anyone to be involved with scouting who violates their morals, I'm also sure that the Boy Scouts becoming more progressive isn't exactly helping the relationship between the two organizations. 

In my limited understanding, the church still has something to do with the scouts. I'm not sure what it is and if someone can correct me, please do. If they are still connected in some way, I'm not sure it'll last either. Might be time for both sides to make a clean break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment