Friday, May 5, 2017

Album of the Weekend

Red Hot Chilli Peppers-Blood Sugar Sex Magic

I'm going to come out and say it-if I'm in the right mood, "Under the Bridge" can make me cry.  I don't like slow songs. I never have, never will. But the quiet energy, passion and love that Anthony Kiedis has for his adopted hometown of Los Angeles is gorgeous. That song alone is a reason to buy the entire album, but there are other good songs on it.

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers are a weird band. I never liked them much until this album and I have to admit that the entire album is just average at best, with a few standout songs. At this time in their career they had a unique sound that was like coffee or beer-an acquired taste that was not for everyone. Notice I said at this time in their career, their later albums were different and I'll touch on those later. Acquired taste doesn't mean bad either. Frankly, I think these guys are amazingly talented and incredibly innovative.

"Suck my Kiss", "I Could Have Lied" and "Breaking the Girl" are the other good songs on this album. Youtube the rest of it first, than decide if you want to buy it. It's not the kind of album you want to buy without hearing the entire thing first.

No comments:

Post a Comment