Friday, May 19, 2017

Album of the weekend

Aerosmith-Permanent Vacation

I'm not an Aerosmith fan, I will never be an Aerosmith fan. I find their ballads horrible. Over the top, melodramatic, sappy, and loved by teenagers forever as the first song they slow danced to. That's actually a good description of Aerosmith period. Even their better songs (yes, they do have some good songs) are fairly over the top. Kiss is also over the top, but we all sort of know it and are in on the joke. Aerosmith just isn't like that. 

But I try to be objective and fair. Someone gave me this album many, many years ago and I recently found it when I was reorganizing my cd collection. Just for giggles, I put it in my cd player, hoping that maybe it's not as bad as I remembered it to be.

My second opinion of this album, and perhaps Aerosmith: it's not bad, but it's not good either. Aerosmith might just be an acquired taste, and while it's not my own, I am beginning to see how some people might (key word, might) like it. It's not for me, it'll never be for me. I don't like this album. "Angel" is so cheesy it could have been sung by the Zach Attack on Saved by the Bell. "Rag Doll" is easily forgettable. "Dude Looks Like a Lady" is still a bad song, no matter what the content is. Like songs by Offspring, it can't decide if it wants to be funny or not. This is not an album I enjoy in the least, but if it's your thing, go for it.

One last comment: If you are an Aerosmith fan, ask yourself this: "Do I like the music because it brings up good memories, or because I actually like the music on it's own?" Nothing wrong with liking it because it brings up good memories but my question is a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment