Thursday, January 21, 2016

True Confessions-Musicals

Ok, I'll say it now. This punk loves musicals, including the "Book of Mormon". "American Idiot" is quite good too-though I freely admit I wasn't a fan at first. It took me several listenings to  get over my own punk snobbishness and enjoy it.

My tastes are a little out there in culture. Growing up I was called a "queer" and much worse because I :: gasp :: liked musicals, drama and art. Usually the same people that called me horrible gay slurs were the ones who never dated women, but that's another issue altogether.

So yes, I like musicals. My favorites are "West Side Story", "Avenue Q" and "Title of Show". I used to like Rent and still do (in particular La Vie Boheme) but I've sort of aged out of the demographic. Now I view Mark and Roger as ungrateful and pretentious instead of "artistic and real".

My current obsession is the Youtube channel "Musical Hell". If she was LDS (and I think she's married), I'd totally make her wife number #4. I highly doubt she'd be interested in the offer, but it's still out there.

Musical Hell stars a super talented self described "Diva of the Underworld" who critiques some of the worst musicals of all time. Underneath her absolutely hilarious critique is some real insight. This girl has serious talent.

Highly suggest listening to it. Along with "Fair Mormon" and General Conference videos it's been on my playlist more than the Ramones lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment