Monday, January 11, 2016

Hugh Nibley and artwork

Hugh Nibley didn't like the LDS art world. 

Hate to break it to you, but he was right, as he was often. 

LDS artwork is terrible. No, that doesn't mean I don't agree with the theology, no that doesn't mean I'm leaving the church. But that does mean-well, it means the artwork is terrible. I'm talking about the campy pictures you see everywhere. They look cheesy, folksy and not done by someone who really has the "eye" for artwork. 

I just moved back to the south, the only place that truly feels "home" to me . Home really is where you make it. I already have a few Sailor Jerry (Surprise!) posters, and I was looking for some LDS artwork. Not photos or pictures of the temple. 

Yes, art is subjective. Yes, sacred pictures of the prophet and Jesus Christ should be sacred. I also agree that my taste in art is a little weird. Anything from American traditional tattoos to abstract modernism paintings (Jackson Pollack, Arshile Gorky). I also have a thing for 50's retro style. So yes, my taste is a little out there. 

I also have the artistic talent of a...well, something that has no talent. So yes, I'm a critic without talent. But that's part of being a critic. Those who can't do teach, and those who can't teach write about things. 


No comments:

Post a Comment