Thursday, January 7, 2016

Martial arts instructors and college professors

I've said recently that college professors and martial arts instructors can easily get warped egos. My former karate teacher (a really great guy) asked me to elaborate. So here I go. 

First off, yes, I'm speaking in generalities. There are exceptions to the rule. Second, yes, I have an ego as well. 

Both martial arts instructors and professors generally swim in a small pond. They don't associate much socially with people who aren't exactly like them. That will damage your view of the world by itself. You'll begin to have a hard time seeing any views other than your own as valid and reasonable. 

The bigger issue though? They are asked questions to which they know the answer, and they know they know the answers. So they begin to think they know the answers on everything. My college degree is in English. I know a bit about the subject. I don't know anything about Japanese literature (no, not an insult to Japanese literature. I'm just saying I don't know anything about it. I'm not even judging it. Chill). A Ph.D in English knows a lot about their specialty, but often times they think they know everything about all other subjects. So when they talk about economics or philosophy, they don't have the same level of expertise.

It's the same with martial arts instructors. I've taken Ed Parker style American Karate for years. Often times many instructors would give advice on life, health matters, and more troubling-legal issues. Listen carefully-unless you are a member of the bar, you shouldn't give legal advice. Why? Because if someone takes your advice and gets themselves in serious trouble, they are coming after you. Yes, it does happen. They also don't know a lot about healthy living unless they are experts in, well, healthy living. 

Yes, I love karate and my time in college. But that didn't delude me. The only people it tends to delude are professors and karate instructors.

No comments:

Post a Comment