Friday, January 22, 2016

Album of the weekend

Gotta be honest with you-I've been waiting for this one for a long, long time. 

Megadeth-Dystopia

The last few albums (Super Collider, Thirteen) were not very good. In fact, many of us thought Megadeth was done. Their longtime drummer, Shawn Drover-left the band. Than guitarist Chris Broderick did as well. While it's true that Megadeth would be nothing without Dave-I was concerned about the turnover. 

Three songs have been released from Dystopia. Fatal Illusion, and The Threat is Real. Simply put, all three songs are spectacular. The long guitar solos, the deeply political and philosophical lyrics, and more importantly-they've got their edge back. The new additions to the band have worked out amazingly. This entire album is on par with their classics. 

Look, we all know what happened to Metallica. Jason Newsted left and they've never been the same. Bobby Trujillo is a great guitarist-I really like his work with Suicidal Tendencies-but he does not fit in with Metallica. Metallica has never been the same since their self titled album. I was scared this would happen to Megadeth. 

The album reminds me of the Judas Priest album "Redeemer of Souls". I also thought they were washed up and towards the end, but that album was great. Megadeth is my favorite band (it's a tie between them and the Ramones. Megadeth is 1, Ramones are 1A), but I do try to be fair (I'm sure all of us say the same thing). This album is outstanding. 

Life has three great pleasures. Reading the Book of Mormon, Baseball, and having your favorite band put together a great album after a bit of a struggle. 

Welcome back guys. You've been missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment