Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Kanye West, his fans, Donald Trump and the Dixie Chicks

No, I'm not a fan of Kanye West and yes, I think he's unpleasant, rude, and generally a nasty character. No, I'm not a fan of Donald Trump. Who I also think is unpleasant, rude, and generally a nasty character. What I find fascinating though is that so many fans of Kanye West apparently can't handle his dissenting views on politics. Obviously, the fans have every right to pick and choose who they want to support with their own money-the right wing does this all the time too. The Dixie Chicks learned this the hard way, and Kanye is about to as well.

You need to put politics aside sometimes. Oh sure, it can be hard. After all, if someone disagrees with what we stand for who wants to give them your hard earned money? However if you choose your entertainment strictly on politics, you'll quickly realize how limited your options are. If you like the Dixie Chicks, you can enjoy their music without subscribing to their politics. If you like Ted Nugent, you can like his music without agreeing with him.

Most of my favorite musicians and I do not agree on politics or religion, but my life has been greatly enriched by going to their concerts, enjoying their music, reading their books, and watching their movies/TV shows. You need to be able to flip the switch if you want to enjoy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment