Saturday, January 5, 2019

Gamestop

Gamestop, the video game retailer, is just about finished. With more and more games available via download, how could they survive? Selling only hardware won't get you much. My guess is that they'll have to become like Newbury Comics (the New England based music retailer chain) is. Focus more on selling pop culture than on selling actual media that we can get in the privacy of our own home without leaving our couch.

I won't be sorry to see Gamestop go. I understand that they need to make money first and foremost, but I was tired of getting 5$ for my trade ins. I love retro gaming, but I gave up on Gamestop years ago. Some might be surprised to hear a huge video game fan have no sympathy for the demise of a store dedicated to video games, but to quote Kent Brockman, "No children will cry when this puppy is put to sleep."

No comments:

Post a Comment