Saturday, January 26, 2019

Emotional support alligator?

So, now emotional support alligators are a thing. Really.  I've spoken about emotional support peacocks before, and fake support dogs too.  It's a big issue for me because I think it shows massive entitlement problems. No, an alligator is not a dog and no, your emotional support alligator does not have the same rights as a seeing eye dog or even a pet dog.

I'm not sure alligators can be trained as emotional support animals. One thing a trained assistance dog has to do is switch off it's fighting temperament. A German Shepard or Belgian Malinois is very good at biting things, and it takes great effort to convince the dog not to give into it's natural desires. An alligator does two things in the wild-make baby alligators and attack things-parpharsing Jaws here. In order to train it not to do so, it would require super human effort. I'm sure it can be done, but do you want your kid playing with an emotional support alligator? Probably not.

This is madness. If you want a pet alligator, fine, it's your life you put in great risk. But guess what? Your desire for exotic pets don't trump my right to live or frankly, my dogs right to life either. If your alligator attacks a human or another pet, you should be held 100% accountable. Your right to do stupid things stops where my safety begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment