Sunday, September 3, 2017

Scripture Sunday Mosiah 26:31

Without question, the most popular prayer in all of Christianity is the "Our Father". It is also called the "Lord's Prayer". It's actual verse is Matthew 6:9-6:13. It's widely accepted in all forms of Christianity, and yes, there are slight variations to each denomination. One of the more famous verses in the prayers is "forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors." I was raised for it to be, "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us". The general point is the same. 

This passage in the Book of Mormon says the same thing. In every Christian denomination, including Mormonism, asking God to forgive us is strictly based on if we forgive others. I'm not saying it's easy, in fact I am the last guy to lecture you on forgiving others-but my own weakness and failings don't change Christian teaching. If you want forgiveness, you'll have to forgive others. 

You could correctly say, "Does that mean I have to forgive the man who killed my brother in a robbery? Does that mean a black man has to forgive a member of the KKK who killed his uncle?" Sadly, yes, I think it does mean that. However-God is not a cruel being and He understands how difficult it is to do that. As long as you try your best to work on forgiving others, even of sins that are gravely, gravely evil-I think He'll take the same mercy on you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment