Tuesday, September 19, 2017

I've been everywhere man...(well, on the east coast anyway)

Recently I had to go back up north to go to a funeral. I don't like leaving Florida and I'm a very nervous flyer, so I took a long trip and drove up north. The drive was great-I was amazed how little traffic there was the entire way up.  I got caught in a little bit of it on 495 in DC but the worst traffic on this trip was certainly from Worcester-Lowell-Manchester NH. Stop and go traffic that was very thick. The worst traffic jam I've ever been in in my life was on 95 in Virginia many years ago. It took me three and half hours to get from DC to Fredericksburg. A trip that usually takes "only" one and half hours.

I do love to drive though. The freedom of the open road is invigorating and inspiring, even if you have a set plan and itinerary that you have to follow. One of the more interesting things about driving is the camaraderie you feel with total strangers. Anyone who enjoys road trips will understand that after seeing the same car travel in the same direction as you for several hours-and that does happen-you begin to feel a partnership with them. You might even exchange glances or salutes. Sure, you'll never see them again but when you finally take different paths-you'll find yourself hoping they get to their destination safely.

The other thing I noticed is how happy I am that most hotels still have bibles. With the increasingly secular society that we live in I understand and accept that hotels will stop carrying bibles, but as of right now, I'm raising a glass to the Gideons-those guys and girls are badass.

No comments:

Post a Comment