Monday, August 7, 2017

Typecasting

I was stuck in the doctors office a few days ago, so I decided to put in the earphones and look at some trashy Youtube videos. You ever seen those "Why Hollywood won't cast ______ anymore" videos by Nicki Swift? You can find them pretty easily, there seems to be hundreds of them online. Given my love of the Scream movies, I noticed that Nicki Swift had a video on why Hollywood wouldn't cast Neve Campbell anymore. She's the star of the movies, I can't imagine them without her charisma, wit, and strength.

I guess she is typecast now because she hasn't had much success outside of the Scream series. That's sad, it's obviously hurting her career. It's also easy for me to say this because I don't have her bills to pay, but a lot of people would love to have the starring role in what is widely considered one of the greatest horror series in movie history. Whatever she does or doesn't accomplish in the future, I hope and pray she finds some kind of peace in being part of the Scream series.

The horror genre is sometimes ignored by mainstream critics, but in reality it's one of the first genres to have strong, (incredibly strong actually) female protagonists. Sidney Prescott is just one in a long line of women who refuse to be victims. Clarice Starling in Silence of the Lambs. Laurie Strode in Halloween. Nancy Thompson in A Nightmare on Elm Street. All of those characters are perfect role models for female characters no matter what genre a movie is in.

No comments:

Post a Comment