Thursday, August 31, 2017

The "pounce" generation

For rock fans like me, one of the greatest journalists out there is Eddie Trunk, who is known for covering heavy metal for several decades. I'm a huge fan of his XM radio show and I love watching clips of it on Youtube. I was very surprised to realize that sometimes his best comments have nothing to do with music and more about society today. While talking about the decline of Paul Stanley's voice (a subject I totally agree with Trunk on) he mentioned that he calls a group of people today the "pounce" generation, because they are so quick to pounce on everything they hear that they disagree with.

He could not be more right about this. As much as I love the internet and social media, one of the biggest problems is unsolvable. Whatever someone says will be twisted, taken vastly out of context and "pounced" on by virtue happy and sometimes miserable people who can't bother to see if what they are critiquing is accurate or not.

Words and statements can be taken out of context, spun and analyzed in so many ways today. People also view them through their own perspective and are often times too lazy/stupid to try and understand them through the eyes of someone else. It makes me feel sorry for public figures sometimes, because no matter what they say it is bound to be completely misread by a large portion of the population.

It's not changing either. Do I really think that suddenly people are going to crack down and be more hesitant to say things? Are people going to turn their critical eye inward? Of course not. I'm not saying I'm perfect either of course-but all of us should be able to see what Trunk is taking about here.

No comments:

Post a Comment