Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Eclipse!

Apparently, there was an eclipse on Monday. Did you hear about it? I didn't. I had no idea what was going to happen and I thought it was the end of the world when I saw the sky get dark. I ran outside, stared at the sun, and now I'm seeing dark spots in my vision. I hope they'll clear up soon.

Okay, I just made that up. Yes, I knew about the eclipse. Yes, I knew when it was going to happen. No, I did not think the world was going to end. No, I didn't run outside and my vision is just fine. Living in my part of Florida it was a cloudy day and the sky didn't even get dark. So we missed the eclipse. I felt bad for the school kids who were eager to see it-but most were allowed out of school so I don't feel that bad for them. The eclipse down here was a giant dud that didn't live up to it's hype.

I didn't care about it either. At all. Sure, I was a called a killjoy and "anti-science" because I didn't care about it, but it didn't bother me. I'm not sure that label applies. I like science, believe that global warming is real, that GMO foods are totally fine and that homosexuality is natural. So I'm not "anti-science" just because I don't care about an eclipse. Expressing that you don't care about a certain issue is also not the same as being a killjoy.

2 comments:

  1. That is the great thing about life and living in this country. We can disagree on things. We can have different opinions. It's sad that in many things, thinking differently is becoming almost prohibited. That unless you believe what another group believes, something is wrong with you. Thankfully, most people are reasonable enough to realize that just because someone gets excited about something doesn't meant that everyone has to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed that saying you aren't interested in the eclipse is like saying you don't like a certain band. For some reason people take it as a grave personal insult. Like you've insinuated that their children are ugly and stupid. Dude, it's just an eclipse. Not an attack on the integrity of your mother.

    ReplyDelete