Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Living a "double life"

We've all heard the phrase before, that someone was living a "double life" when they are caught doing something wrong. It can be a sexual scandal-when a man or women is caught in an affair we often say "Wow! We didn't know they were living a double life!" When a person gets busted for a DUI or caught with an amount of drugs, we say the same thing. This statement is overused and only has a small degree of truth to it.

To some degree, each and everyone of us (including you reading this-both of you) are guilty of "living a double life". I don't know of anyone who greets people with "Hi, I had an abortion when I was 17." or, "I once hit a guy on his bike on a back country road. Cops never found me. Nice to meet you too." It's not just one time mistakes, which I admit shouldn't define you unless you've done something truly heinous. We also don't greet people by saying "Hello, my last three marriages all failed due to chronic infidelity on my part. Oh yeah and my three kids aren't my husbands."

I'm not saying that every is guilty of some grave, huge sin or transgression. In fact, it's usually not the case. However humans are just that-human, and we are capable of making all sorts of mistakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment