Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Joel Osteen

Well, he's become a popular fellow lately hasn't he? Apparently the mega church pastor Joel Osteen didn't open up his church for Houston refugees and the internet isn't happy about it. While I admit it doesn't look good for him, it's amusing to me to see people so quick to pounce on the guy.

First off no, I don't particularly like him. Dude seems like more of a motivational speaker than an actual preacher. I have no problem with protestantism, in fact many protestant denominations are on to something with their theology-but Joel Osteen doesn't seem to have a theology. He doesn't preach about sin or repentance. While that's not uncommon, I have a hard time considering you to be a preacher or a pastor if you can't bother to talk about things that aren't politically correct. Him being incredibly rich doesn't bother me. I'm a raw capitalist. Should a preacher be that rich? I'm agnostic on that. Not every Christian takes a vow of poverty and you can be a rich person and be a wonderful priest/bishop/pastor/minister/rabbi/Iman (get my drift?)

Christians are in a catch 22. No matter what we do, someone will accuse us of not behaving like a Christian.  For all we know, maybe the church isn't capable of holding refugees. Maybe it's flooded as well. Maybe it's just not able to hold 2000 people overnight for a long period of time. Or maybe he's just a phony and fraud who doesn't believe what he preaches. I don't know, and neither do you.

But this doesn't look good on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment