Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Carnival rides

We've all heard of the Ohio State carnival disaster that left one person dead and many, many others injured. It's incredibly tragic and heartbreaking-you go to a carnival/state fair just to have some fun and unwind. No one expects to have this tragedy happen. My heart breaks for everyone involved.

Growing up my mother was always very hesitant to let me go on traveling amusement park rides. She thought they were inherently dangerous. I didn't really go on any of them because of that reason-instead if I wanted to ride on thrill rides I'd go to traditional amusement parks. I can't blame my mom, after all sometimes the people who manufacture and put together the traveling amusement park rides lack the training and background that people at traditional amusement parks have.

However, you don't hear about accidents at fairs and carnivals that much. While I'm sure they happen, if carnival rides were as dangerous as some people seem to think they are, wouldn't accidents be happening constantly? And don't tell me that they happen yet people don't hear about them. In 2017 where everything is recorded, if these rides really went wrong, we'd know. Video would go viral immediately.

I'm not saying that carnival rides are safe. Ironically I still don't go on them. Perhaps though they are not as dangerous as we thought they were. I still feel sorry for the families involved in this one though.

No comments:

Post a Comment