Thursday, August 3, 2017

Mayweather vs McGregor

The MMA fighter Conor McGregor has agreed to fight Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match. I'm not sure why people are excited about this-I'm a big boxing fan but this fight has absolutely no appeal to me. I'm not much of an MMA fan, so I'm going to focus on Mayweather.

Floyd Mayweather is one of the best boxers of all time. His skill and ability puts him in my top ten boxers ever.   Because of his punk behavior and arrogant attitude combined with a general decline in the popularity of boxing he's not a very popular or admired athlete. His style of boxing isn't exciting for the average/casual fan-he's not a brawler-so that also effects his popularity. Putting that aside-the way he fights in the boxing ring is borderline poetic.

He's beaten everyone that has challenged him. An undefeated boxing record is incredibly impressive. Sadly though, he can't beat aging. He's getting up there in years he also hasn't fought in a long time. Luckily, he's a boxer fighting in a boxing match-and I'm not sure that Conor McGregor is ready for that. Boxing is a skill set and it's a totally different game than MMA fighting.

The promotion for this fight has crossed the line from "entertainment" to "offensive". Yes, I admit that just because I'm taking offense to it doesn't mean I expect everyone else to, and yes, you have every right to call me thin skinned. However, racial/homosexual slurs are not appropriate in any context. Usually, I don't expect class from boxers and MMA fighters (there are exceptions) but this crosses the line on many ways.  There are also rumors that the two men flew on the same private jet for promotional tours. This "fight" is more of a circus than most boxing matches are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment