Thursday, April 13, 2017

Miss Montana

The former Miss Montana has gotten herself in hot water for some tweets about her special education students. Make no mistake-those Tweets are pretty nasty and if you are teacher, you really should know better than to say something so offensive and stupid.

I want to admit something straight up-I've written/said things that I regret before. You know how Facebook has that "On this day" thing where you can look at former things you've said online? I cringe sometimes when I read what I said in the past. I'd like to say I've never said anything this offensive-but that's not how it works. I'm virtually assuring you that I've said something that has offended someone before.

The difference is that I'm not a special ed teacher, and I've never said anything about special needs children. What she did is like a nurse making fun of cancer patients or a cop making fun of people he/she has to protect. It is true that our society is much too thin skinned and easily offended-people want to be offended because it makes them feel noble and moral. Even though we are way too easily offended in our culture, that doesn't mean that there is never a reason to get offended.

I think Miss Montana will be looking for a new job soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment