Friday, April 7, 2017

Albums of the weekend

Queen-Greatest Hits and Classic Queen

Notice the sly little trick I did? This is the first plural album of the weekend. Not going to start a trend, but did want to talk about both albums.

Queen is an acquired taste. While they don't have the cult following of the Grateful Dead, I've seen people say the same thing about them-you either love them or hate them. I don't go that far. While I'm not a huge fan of Queen, I do like several of their songs. Classic Queen was the first Queen album I owned (I admit that greatest hits albums aren't real albums). Shockingly, I do not like the songs "Under Pressure" or "Bohemian Rhapsody". I do like "Hammer to Fall", "One Vision", and "Keep Yourself Alive". Those songs are a bit faster and my style. "Under Pressure" depresses me every time I hear it and "Rhapsody" is so overplayed that simply put, I'm just damn sick of it.

"Greatest Hits" has the famous "We Will Rock You" and "We are the Champions" to lead it off. I've always liked "We Will Rock You" and disliked "Champions", finding it melodramatic and a little tacky. "Somebody to Love", "Don't Stop Me Now" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" are my favorites off this album.

Like I said, I'm not the biggest Queen fan but I'm glad I have these two albums of theirs.

*cool story-in high school drama class we had to choose a song that that we identified with. One of my best friends went up to perform and I yelled out "Fat Bottomed Girls!" she looked indignant, but years later admitted it was funny.

2 comments:

  1. I actually enjoy Bohemian Rhapsody. I think I grew to like it from watching Wayne's World!

    ReplyDelete