Monday, April 10, 2017

Friend requests

Like I've said before in several posts, I'm a social media junkie. I love social media and I wish we had it growing up. I think it's incredibly over bashed by people who don't understand how it works. Sure, you can make fun of social media addicts and complain about how people use their phones too much-but welcome to 2017 where that is the primary way people communicate. You can bitch about them being anti-social but that doesn't make any sense, given that people talk to one another online, which is the definition of being social.

But there are things I'm hesitant about when it comes to social media. The big thing is the friend request. I don't like to friend request anyone I knew back when I was growing up, not even cousins and other family members.  In some ways, I prefer friend requests from online "strangers". Usually people I've met in a forum or through here. The reason I don't like accepting friend requests from people I've met in the past is simple: I don't want to be judged at 35 what I did when I was 14. I'm afraid if I do friend request someone they'll bring up things from the past that I'd rather not have publicly known. Hell, I don't want to reminisce about those days, much less see them posted online.

The other issue is when you get friend requests from people who don't know you well. I have a dark and dry sense of humor-if you don't know me well in my personal life I can basically guarantee that you would have a hard time wondering if I'm joking or not. I don't want someone lecturing me about my sense of humor because they don't understand it. I also don't want some 9/11 truther babbling on my FB page. 

I was talking with someone about this recently. He has a good rule about FB requests-two strikes and your out. If you post two things of any kind that he doesn't like on his page he immediately blocks you and the line is disconnected forever. That rule might sound harsh, but I think I'm going to start adopting it. 

2 comments:

  1. I think your outlook on social media is very healthy. Also, friend request sent! Don't get your hopes up though, I'm far less interesting on FB than I am on MormonHub :P

    ReplyDelete