Wednesday, April 26, 2017

March for science

Like I've mentioned before, in my view everyone "loves science" until it conflicts with their values. That's why the right is afraid of evolution and the biological evidence for homosexuality and that's why the left is afraid of GMO/Organic foods, and the troubling information that their might only be two genders. I also think that people say they "love science" because they want to seem like intellectuals. I don't care much about science, so I didn't know that there was a march for science this weekend. By the way, just saying I don't care about science doesn't mean I don't accept it. I'm more of a humanities kind of guy than science guy, 

So apparently there was this big march for science over the weekend. I seemed to have missed it. Science has become incredibly politicized. Frankly, I think the right has more to do with this than the left. It started when schools dared to teach :: gasp :: evolution in science class. I remember growing up reading about people who wanted to teach creationism or intelligent design in science class. Look, I believe in God, but neither creationism or intelligent design belong in a science class. Period. I'm not saying that science and religion never entered the political realm before the 80's, but I think it escalated after that.

I also think it's comical that you have to choose to believe in either religion or science. Even my dumbass mind can handle those two things at once. My belief in Jesus doesn't mean I can't believe in evolution as well.

2 comments:

  1. The father of Christian author Corrie ten Boom was a watchmaker. She describes a few times when he'd pray, Lord, you know what makes the planets spin and you know what makes this watch run.

    ReplyDelete