Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Kurt Cobain anniversary and a little note about Thomas Monson

First off, as you might have heard the president and prophet of the LDS church, Thomas Monson, has recently been in the hospital. I'm praying for him, his family, his health and the church. Since this was unexpected, I wanted to mention it before my other topic. 

Kurt Cobain died 23 years ago today (bet you never thought you'd see those two names connected, huh? Kurt Cobain and Thomas Monson?). I still remember where I was (downstairs in the house I grew up in) when I first heard the news. Like people of another generation felt when they heard about Hendrix, Elvis, Joplin or their heroes, I remember the feelings so vividly even decades later. I was young (early teen years) and the punch was quite severe. 

What made it worse was when people tried to dismiss his death. "Oh, it was just a rock star." Or "Oh, he was a junkie anyway." Horrible things to say in the first place-it shows incredible ignorance about his influence on not only music but a generation or people. Was he perfect? Of course not. Was he more than just a "rock star" (something he hated) or a "junkie"? Damn right he was. 

My feelings towards Cobain have of course changed over the years. I love the music of Nirvana, I will always love the music of Nirvana. I will always in some way admire Cobain as well. Flaws and all, he will always be immortal. 

*Sorry that last year, I posted the same thing about Kurt Cobain. Every year on his anniversary I'll probably say something about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment