Saturday, September 10, 2016

Women changing their name after marriage

I have some strong feelings about this one. They've moderated over time, but I still feel strongly about it.

I don't get it. At all. I didn't understand it at 13, I don't understand it now. I used to think that women who didn't change their name were just unquestioning dupes of a patriarchal society. I was arrogant in my belief. As a young person, aren't we all at least slightly arrogant in our beliefs? Perhaps not arrogant but more certain. God knows I've moderated my beliefs on most issues since I was younger. It's a good thing-it means you are developing and having more life experiences.

Anyway, I never understood why it was a tradition/custom that only women changed their names when they got married. It is troubling to me because I believe it goes back to when women were properties of their husband, which is truly a disgusting way to think. Maybe there are good reasons for women to change their names, and of course a woman should do whatever she damn well pleases. But it's still a strange tradition to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment