Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Marriages "bringing families" together

Does marriage bring families together? I'm not sure it does.

Firstly, the nature of the internet is to take exception to everything, be offended, and think that the writer is a fool/ignorant/racist/ etc. So upfront, I know this is just my personal opinion and no, I'm not saying anything negative about people who are in this situation. 

In my immediate family growing up my grandparents met each other at my parents wedding, and I don't think they ever saw each other again. In fact, the only interaction I remember seeing that involved one from the other side  going to another event was when my paternal grandfather died in 2007 (some thirty years after my parents were married) one of my moms sisters went to the wake. That doesn't mean they didn't get along. I never heard anyone in either family ever mention the other side. 

There are so, so many misconceptions about marriage out there today. The older I get the more I am convinced that there are 10,000 ways to have a happy marriage, and just because you don't understand or like it doesn't mean it doesn't work for the couple involved. If a couple doesn't think their families will get along, it shouldn't stop the impending nuptials. 

No comments:

Post a Comment