Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Thin skinned millennials?

Like I've mentioned before I'm not of the age where I complain about millennials all the time. Oddly, those who usually complain about millennials all the time raised them. So I would think that older generations are at least partially to blame. In reality though (and to paraphrase one of my all time favorite novels, "Bright Lights, Big City",  I think it's just another version of the same old story).  Every generation from the dawn of time complained about future generations, and I'm fully confident that very, very few had the ability to self critique and admit that previous generations are, at least, partially to blame if the ones after them are truly that bad.

I have noticed that several people on my Facebook complain quite often about millennials and other young people being "thin skinned" and easily offended. One guy complains frequently about it. He's a big college football fan. If you say anything about his team, he goes crazy. He's also religious. If you say the slightest thing about his religion (even if it's not offensive in the least) he's goes crazy. I am one hundred percent certain that if he is like this, at least some other people his age (late 40's, early 50's) are as well.  

It's not just college football and religion, and it's not just him. I've seen people bitch about thin skinned others than simply fall apart and go into fits of screaming rage when someone says they don't like their favorite band or musical. Really? Journey and Phantom of the Opera inspire this much loyalty? 

His hypocrisy doesn't bother me. To a degree we are all hypocrites and just pointing out his hypocrisy doesn't mean he is wrong in what he says. His lack of self awareness is what I find most amusing. 

I love Facebook. One of the reasons I like Facebook is it allows me to see personality traits in others that aren't really the greatest. No, this guy isn't a bad person but I don't want to be like him in that aspect of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment